Monday 26 April 2010

Condimently Named Larvae

It’s caterpillar season again. This year we hope to have a better butterfly to death-by-starving ratio (though it was splendid to see “Ketchup”, at least, take flight last spring). The kiddos have gone as far as to name all of them and they swear that they can somehow spot the difference between one ugly one inch caterpillar and the one next to it (names include: Mustard, Relish, Tiny, Tiny II, Smart, Mousey, Bugsy...).

Our little beasts are picky eaters and require a diet of either comfrey or thistle. However, my various thistle eradication projects have served the property well (at the expense of the caterpillar) since we could find but one measly plant on our walk last week.

Our search for thistles produced this quote-o-the-week from Fergus:
“Dad, don’t worry, we’re not lost. I’ve been on this trail before with Finn. I know it like the back of my head.”

Terrarium:


Stick, caterpillar, poo:

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Oh my god, that quote is the best thing I've heard in a long time and evoked a huge belly laugh when I read it! I love you, Fergus!