Sunday 4 December 2011

Music of the Year

Note: The best songs of 2011 can be found at my woefully underfunded music site. But, tempting cross-pollination, here’s a special treat (you can pay me later)...

Music videos these days are crap. Animated/ stop-motion videos: crap. Single-take/ slow-motion shots: crap. Overly clever, look at us on our treadmills: crap. NSFW videos: crap. And anything with the band playing their instruments, unless its by New Order, contains synthed frog noises and is titled Perfect Kiss... always crap. This is why I’ve been neglecting, for the most part, said music blog.

On that upbeat note, by default, I present the best music video of 2011 (coincidentally, also the best song of 2011)...

 

Albums* of the year:
1. Wild Beasts - Smother
2. Destroyer - Kaputt
3. Beirut - The Rip Tide
4. The Antlers - Burst Apart
5. The Drums - Portamento
6. PJ Harvey - Let England Shake
7. The Rapture - In the Grace of Your Love
8. Noah and The Whale - Last Night on Earth
9. The Go! Team - Rolling Blackouts
10. The Feelies - Here Before
*sounds better than “mp3 clusterings”

“I don't like country and western, I don't like rock music, I don't like rockabilly or rock and roll particularly. I don't like much, really, do I? But what I do like, I love passionately.” Chris Lowe, Pet Shop Boys

1 comment:

Cap'n Franko said...

Thanks for the list. Now I have some new stuff to check out!